American Buffalo 1 oz
If you would like to own a gold bullion coin that represents the North American heritage, that is deemed legal tender by the United States Government, and that contains one troy ounce of .9999 fine gold, then look no further than the American Gold Buffalo. Authorized by the US Congress in 2005 and minted the following year by the US West Point Mint, it is the first 24 carat legal tender gold coin to be issued by the US Government. Depicting graceful designs of iconic American hallmarks, the American Gold Buffalo coin is a must for anyone who relishes the founding history of the United States.
Frequently bought together
- American Gold Buffalo coins track the price of gold. The value of American Gold Buffalo coins is primarily determined by their fine gold content which is linked to the prevailing price of gold.
- American Gold Buffalo coins are money. American Gold Buffalos have been considered legal tender by the United States Government since their first year of issue in 2006.
- American Gold Buffalo coins are recognizable. The fact that American Gold Buffalos are minted by the United States Mint and portray two iconic hallmarks of North America, the American Bison and the Native American Indian, guarantees their global recognition and liquidity.
- American Gold Buffalo coins are 24 carat pure gold. In many ways it is more exciting to hold an American Gold Buffalo in your hands than an alloyed gold coin. Unlike alloyed gold, pure 24 carat gold has a lustrous gold colour and, being of higher density, also has a better heft or “feel” to it.
- American Gold Buffalo coins are the equivalent of savings. Made of pure gold and backed by the United States Government, American Gold Buffalo coins are an ideal investment for any type of long-term saver who appreciates the security and stability of owning physical legal tender gold coins.
- American Gold Buffalo coins are an excellent way to diversify your portfolio. Gold’s low correlation with other financial assets makes the American Gold Buffalos function as a portfolio hedge against market risk.
First US Legal Tender 24 Carat Gold Coin
By witnessing the growing popularity of other countries’ 24 carat gold bullion coins, of which Canada’s Maple Leaf and Austria’s Philharmonic gold coins are good examples, the United States Mint decided to issue for the first time in its history its own version of a .9999 fine legal tender gold coin. Until 2006, the only American legal tender gold bullion coin available for purchase was the American Gold Eagle which, unlike the Gold Buffalo, is a 22 carat coin and is made of gold and a copper – silver alloy. The introduction of the American Gold Buffalo was also a historical moment for the United States Mint which for the first time issued two separate legal tender gold coins that contained different gold purities.
American Gold Buffalo Design
The chosen die design for the American Gold Buffalo was originally created by James Earle Fraser, one of America’s most famous sculptors of the early 20th century. The original design was used for the copper – nickel five-cent coin which was minted and issued between 1913 and 1938 in the United States. It would take almost 70 years for this iconic coin design to be used once again on a circulating coin, only this time on a gold bullion coin. Besides making the original distinctive design for the Gold Buffalo coin, Fraser also created several of America’s most prominent public monuments, such as the Benjamin Franklin National Memorial in Philadelphia and the Arts of Peace in Washington D.C.
|Nominal value||Dimensions||Fineness||Product weight in grams||Gold weight in grams||Gold weight in Troy ounces|
|50 USD denomination||32.70 mm||999.9||31.10658 g||31.10347g||1|
The obverse of the coin portrays a Native American who, according to the designer James Earle Fraser, was created by combining the facial characteristics of three American Indian tribal chiefs. The text “LIBERTY” is also imprinted on the obverse, as is the year of mintage and the designer’s initial “F”, which stands for Fraser.
The reverse displays an American Bison, a species that once roamed freely on the grasslands of North America. Due to the excessive commercial hunting of the American Bison, also referred to as the American Buffalo, the animal was almost wiped out in the 19th century in the United States. Luckily, the species has recently made a comeback thanks to a few national parks and restricted private reserves. Above the Buffalo on the coin is the engraving “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA” and the Latin words “E PLURIBUS UNUM” which means “one out of many”. Inscribed below the Buffalo are the words “IN GOD WE TRUST”, the nominal face value of $50, the weight, and the purity of the coin.
The American Buffalo is 99.99% fine gold. This means that the coin is exclusively made of pure gold and is free of metallic impurities. The American Buffalo gold coin weighs exactly one troy ounce (31.1 grams).
Your order is fully insured and delivered by Posten Norge AS. The package is usually shipped the same day or the next working day after we receive your payment. Your order will arrive at the local post office the day after. If you wish, you can also personally pick up your order in our store the same day we receive your payment. In cases where we are unable to send your order right away, we will always inform you about the time delay.