For more than 1,000 years The Royal Mint has innovated to create coins that are both beautiful and secure. In 2021, Britannia, the symbol of Britain, leads the way to redefine security in the bullion market, the embodiment of this drive for the very best in design and security. This latest evolution of an icon takes Philip Nathan’s acclaimed interpretation of Britannia and adds four groundbreaking security features to create the most visually secure coin in the world. These additions both decorate and protect the coin, just as the micro-text that borders the design states – DECUS ET TUTAMEN, or AN ORNAMENT AND A SAFEGUARD. In the lower left-hand of the design, below Britannia’s flowing gown, is a trident to represent her naval history. As the viewer changes their perspective this trident becomes a padlock, emphasising the coin’s secure nature. Surface animation behind Britannia reflects the movement of waves, and fine details like the Union Flag on Britannia’s shield have been highlighted by tincture lines.
This is the only silver coin to carry the new security details. These features are also available on the 1oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz and 1/10oz fine gold editions of the coin.
- Four advanced features take visual security to the next level.
- A latent image changes from a padlock to Britannia’s famous trident.
- Surface animation brings the background of sparkling waves to life.
- Micro text gives both decoration and protection – ‘an ornament and a safeguard’.
- Britannia’s shield bears the Union Flag accented with tincture lines.